EYELID SURGERY (blepharoplasty) OVERVIEW
The eyes are highly complex and fragile structures that serve a crucial functional purpose. Unfortunately, the fragile skin on and around the eye is highly vulnerable to the damaging effects of the environment, which is why the orbital area is often first to display the visible signs of aging, and gradually begins to sag and droop over time. This unwelcome aesthetic development can significantly age the face, leading to a chronically tired or sad appearance. blepharoplasty (eyelid surgery, lidlift, or eye lift) is an effective surgical countermeasure to address and reverse some of the tell-tale signs of aging in the orbital region. Eyelid surgery involves the removal of excess skin and fatty tissue responsible for creating the appearance of droopy, deflated eyelids, and helps to restore a youthful, refreshed, and well-rested appearance while simultaneously improving the symmetry and overall aesthetic appeal of your face.
If too much skin is removed during eyelid surgery, or if the fragile eyelid musculature is damaged, the patient’s ability to close their eyelids may be impaired, which is why it is important to give careful consideration to the selection of your eyelid surgeon, and to pay close attention to factors such as: board certifications, licensure, experience, and patient satisfaction rates. At the Beverly Hills Aesthetic Surgical Institute, with office locations in Beverly Hills, Valencia, and Santa Clarita, California, Triple Board-certified Facial Plastic and Reconstructive Surgeon Dr. D. David Saadat’s forward-thinking, evidence-based treatment protocols integrate cutting edge surgical techniques that are designed to safeguard the health of his patients. In addition to his skillful creation of meticulously customized treatment plans, Dr. Saadat’s approachable, compassionate demeanor and high level of patient accessibility have strengthened his immaculate reputation among patients and doctors alike, and his vast surgical expertise is often sought after by patients seeking to restore a more youthfully revitalized facial appearance with eyelid surgery.
When performed properly, eyelid surgery can offer a number of aesthetic and functional benefits:
- Remove undesirable fat deposits, loose skin, and excess muscle from the eyelids, while tightening and lifting the eyelid musculature, creating a more well-rested and alert appearance
- Improve the overall aesthetics of the eyes by correcting asymmetry and/or structural deformities
- Remove excess skin responsible for obscuring the natural fold in the upper eyelids, which can potentially hinder the patient’s vision if left untreated
- Resolve issues of swelling and puffiness and swelling in the upper eyelids by removing excess fatty deposits
- Reduce the skin tissue above the eye and/or deepen the upper eyelid crease, allowing for better peripheral vision
- Excise surplus lower eyelid skin, thereby reducing the prominence of fine lines and wrinkles in the orbital area (“crow’s feet”)
- Improve the appearance of lower eyelid puffiness, dark circles, and bags
- Corrects lower eyelid ptosis (sagging or droopiness), which may present unilaterally (on one side) or bilaterally (on both sides)
- Correct scleral show, which occurs when the white portion of the eye beneath the iris is revealed
YOUR EYELID SURGERY EXPERIENCE
During your initial consultation, Dr. Saadat will take the time to create a personalized treatment plan that seamlessly integrates your aesthetic preferences and desired surgical outcomes. Your customized eyelid surgery will incorporate advanced surgical techniques designed to remove, reposition, and/or tighten the eyelid fat, skin, and musculature. These techniques will facilitate a dramatic enhancement of your eyelid definition and symmetry while still allowing Dr. Saadat to camouflage your incisions within your natural eyelid shape.
Dr. Saadat is often recognized for his innovative approaches to reparative eyelid surgery, as well as for his ability to improve upon the results of prior eyelid surgery performed elsewhere (revisional eyelid surgery). Dr. Saadat understands the inherent flaws in older eyelid surgery techniques, and is aware that there should be full upper eyelid fold located several millimeters above the eyelashes, exposing a uniform strip to eyelid platform skin. The eyelid skin itself should be smooth (not crepey), and the eyelid platform skin should be relatively tight below the upper eyelid crease to prevent the eyelashes from pointing downward in an unnatural direction.
blepharoplasty surgery is typically performed on an outpatient basis under IV sedation or general anesthesia, and can be structured to focus on the correction of cosmetic issues affecting the upper and/or lower eyelids. There are three primary types of eyelid surgery:
- Lower Eyelid Lift: cosmetic issues pertaining to the lower eyelid may be corrected with the removal of excess skin through an incision made just beneath the lower lash line
- Upper Eyelid Lift: upper eyelid ptosis (drooping or sagging upper eyelids) can be resolved through the precise repositioning of fat deposits, in conjunction with the removal of surplus upper eyelid skin and the tightening of the adjacent musculature and tissues. For this procedure, Dr. Saadat will work through an incision made within the natural crease of the upper eyelid.
- Transconjunctival Lower Eyelid Surgery: this alternative technique is utilized to improve cosmetic issues affecting the lower eyelid area, and is similar to the lower eyelid lift, but involves an incision placed discreetly inside the lower eyelid rather than beneath the lash line
The average recovery period after eyelid surgery is approximately one week. The majority of post-surgical bruising and swelling after eyelid surgery generally subsides within 7-10 days, and at this point most patients are able to comfortably return to work and resume normal social activities (moderate exercise may be recommenced within three weeks). After your blepharoplasty procedure, it is imperative that you practice proper sun protection and wear darkly tinted sunglasses when you are outside until the healing process is complete. You may find cold compresses, ointments, and medication helpful to alleviate any post-eyelid surgery bruising, irritation, dry eyes, and/or swelling.
CONTACT THE BEVERLY HILLS AESTHETIC SURGICAL INSTITUTE
As a valued patient at the Beverly Hills Aesthetic Surgical Institute, you will reap the benefits of a patient-centric practice built upon the core principle of comprehensive patient education. Triple Board Certified Facial Plastic and Reconstructive Surgeon Dr. D. David Saadat goes to great lengths to ensure that his patients understand the full range of surgical and non-invasive treatment options available to them, and will not proceed until you are 100% satisfied with your personalized treatment plan.
Each of our three California office locations (Beverly Hills, Valencia, and Santa Clarita) is equipped with state-of-the-art technology designed to mitigate the risk of complications and maximize the likelihood of successful treatment outcomes. Unlike the harried treatment environments of many plastic surgery practices, Dr. Saadat and his well-trained staff members will be completely accessible to you throughout your cosmetic enhancement experience, should you have any concerns or questions.
If you would like additional information about having your eyelid surgery (blepharoplasty) performed by Dr. Saadat at the Beverly Hills Aesthetic Surgical Institute, please contact our office today. We look forward to speaking with you, and to scheduling your initial consultation with Dr. Saadat.