CHEMICAL PEEL OVERVIEW
A chemical peel is a skin-rejuvenation technique used to enhance the appearance of the skin on the face, neck or hands. During a chemical peel, an exfoliating chemical solution is applied to the skin to remove dead or damaged skin cells. After a peel, skin imperfections are minimized and the newly regenerated skin appears smoother and more radiant. Chemical peels are a prime example of a minimally invasive skin treatment powerful enough to produce remarkable skin improvements.
Chemical peels are comprised of various chemical agents and can be formulated in different strengths (superficial, medium, or deep) to address the unique skin concerns of each patient. The severity and type of your skin problems will determine the strength and composition of your customized chemical peel formula. Chemical peels are ideally suited to improve the following skin conditions:
- Pigmentation irregularities (sun/liver/age spots)
- Oily or acneic skin
- Facial scarring due to injury or acne
- photoaged skin
- Dry, rough, or scaly skin
- Fine lines and wrinkles
- Sagging, loose skin with poor elasticity
- Creases and deep furrows
- Uneven skin tone or texture
- Premalignant or malignant lesions
- Dyschromia (abnormal skin discoloration)
Although chemical peels are non-surgical procedures, improper administration increases your risk of developing potentially serious complications (i.e. allergic reaction, infection, scarring). Your chemical peel should only be performed by a licensed, experienced professional, such as the skillful aesthetic technicians at the Beverly Hills Aesthetic Surgical Institute, which has three convenient office locations (Beverly Hills, Valencia, and Santa Clarita, California). All of our chemical peel services are performed under the supervision of triple board-certified Facial Plastic and Reconstructive surgeon Dr. D. David Saadat, and the strength of each chemical peel is adjusted to accommodate your specific skincare needs and goals.
WHAT IS A TCA PEEL?
There are many different formulas that can be used during a chemical peel service; however, at the Beverly Hills Aesthetic Surgical Institute we utilize varying strengths of trichloroacetic Acid (TCA) peels, because this particular chemical agent penetrates deeper into the skin than other peels and produces dramatic results even at relatively low concentrations of 10-15%. A 15% TCA peel performed 2-3 times a year is likely to produce similar (or better) results than one could achieve with a monthly Jessner’s peel.
- 10-20% TCA Peel: appropriate for patients seeking a gentler peel to subtly refresh their facial appearance. After a 10% TCA peel, you may experience temporary redness and a mild burn, but these side effects should subside quickly, leaving you with revitalized, smoother skin (the effects of the 10% peel can be amplified with stronger formulations of up to 20% concentration).
- 25-35% TCA Peel: this powerful peel is appropriate for patients who present with deep lines/wrinkles or significantly photoaged skin, and who would benefit from a more dramatic facial rejuvenation. The 25-35% TCA peel is strong enough to warrant regional anesthesia and oral or intravenous sedation, and for the first 24 hours after the peel, patients may experience a frosting of the skin, redness, and then a darkening of the peeled skin. As the dead skin cells shed over the next 5-7 days, a fresh, pink epithelium will be revealed, which may take several days to completely heal. Post-operative skin care can be managed with bland petrolatum dressing and gentle wound debridement until the epithelium is fully regenerated.
There is a very low risk of hypopigmentation (skin lightening) after TCA peels; however, a conservative approach is always best, and TCA solutions should not be applied in concentrations above 50%, as these levels are unpredictable and can result in facial scarring. The skin-rejuvenating results of your TCA chemical peel can be maximized and extended when performed in conjunction with a complementary facial enhancement service, such as an IPL Photofacial.
CONTACT THE BEVERLY HILLS AESTHETIC SURGICAL INSTITUTE
As a valued patient at the Beverly Hills Aesthetic Surgical Institute, you will reap the benefits of a patient-centric practice built upon the core principle of comprehensive patient education. Triple Board Certified Facial Plastic and Reconstructive Surgeon Dr. D. David Saadat goes to great lengths to ensure that his patients understand the full range of surgical and non-invasive treatment options available to them, and will not proceed until you are 100% satisfied with your personalized treatment plan.
Each of our three California office locations (Beverly Hills, Valencia, and Santa Clarita) is equipped with state-of-the-art technology designed to mitigate the risk of complications and maximize the likelihood of successful treatment outcomes. Unlike the harried treatment environments of many plastic surgery practices, Dr. Saadat and his well-trained staff members will be completely accessible to you throughout your cosmetic enhancement experience, should you have any concerns or questions.
If you would like additional information about improving the health and appearance of your skin with a customized chemical treatment, please contact the Beverly Hills Aesthetic Surgical Institute today. We look forward to speaking with you, and to scheduling your initial consultation with Dr. Saadat.