Rhinoplasty FAQs

Rhinoplasty FAQs

 

Is nasal reshaping surgery painful?

Your nasal reshaping procedure will be performed under general anesthesia or twilight sedation, meaning you will not feel any pain. After surgery, you can expect some degree of nasal soreness, but should not experience any significant pain. If necessary, Dr. Saadat can prescribe narcotic pain medication; however, most patients find this unnecessary.

 

How long will my nose be swollen after my nasal reshaping surgery?

In general, 80% of post-surgical swelling abates within 3 weeks. The remaining 20% may require up to a year, although this residual swelling is typically undetectable, as the shape of the nose becomes more refined during this healing period.

 

Are there any age restrictions for rhinoplasty surgery?

There are no age limitations pertaining to candidacy for rhinoplasty surgery, as long as the patient is in good health and has reasonable expectations. However, there may be special requirements and considerations for the elderly, teenagers, and children, and Dr. Saadat requires parental consent prior to performing nasal reshaping surgery for patients under the age of 18.

 

Will I have bruising and black eyes after my rhinoplasty?

The majority of nasal reshaping patients experience 7-10 days of purple discoloration and swelling around the eyes and upper cheeks, although this varies among individuals. If your rhinoplasty surgery requires fracturing of the nasal bones, you can expect bruising and discoloration around the eyes (“black eyes”) for a little over a week. This discoloration is not painful, and looks far worse than it feels. If your nasal reshaping procedure is limited to tip or cartilaginous work, you should not experience any bruising or discoloration after surgery.

 

Are there medications I should avoid prior to rhinoplasty?

Yes, there are some medications you will need to avoid prior to surgery (i.e. blood thinning medications, anti-coagulants). Dr. Saadat will provide you with an extensive list of pre- and post-operative instructions to ensure that you are completely prepared going into surgery. When treating patients taking prescription blood thinners (i.e. Coumadin), Dr. Saadat will work with the prescribing physician to assess the potential risks of stopping these medications prior to surgery.

 

Where will my rhinoplasty surgery be performed?

Most of our rhinoplasty/nasal surgery cases are performed as outpatient procedures in the Beverly Hills Aesthetic Surgical Institute’s fully accredited surgery center. As an added convenience, we also offer transportation to and from our after-care facility, where you can relax and recover in a healing, tranquil environment.

 

Does Dr. Saadat work with out of town patients?

For out of town patients, we recommend that you arrive one day prior to your treatment. We will request photos before your arrival, in order to evaluate your needs and provide you with a mini-quote, and we are able to perform your initial consultation via email and phone. You will also have a consultation visit the day before your procedure (in some cases, this consultation can take place on the day of your procedure). Most of our patients are able to fly home the day after their nasal surgery.

 

How long will I need to take off of work?

Depending on the type of anesthesia, you should plan to take approximately 2 to 4 days off from work. You may have bruising for 10 to 14 days after surgery, and will wear a protective splint for about a week. Physical exertion and rigorous exercising should be avoided for at least 2 weeks.

 

I have terrible sinus problems and difficulty breathing through my nose. Will my insurance policy pay for rhinoplasty?

Breathing difficulties are often the result of nasal obstructions, such as: allergies, a deviated septum, chronic sinusitis, nasal polyps, or a malformed/misshapen nasal framework. These conditions may be congenital or have been caused by nasal trauma or injury (i.e. broken nose). Although individual health insurance policies can vary significantly, in general, functional or corrective surgery to improve breathing is considered a covered benefit in most group health insurance policies. Contrarily, health insurance will not pay for rhinoplasty with solely cosmetic objectives.

 

Please call us at (310) 247-9090 to discuss your treatment options and to schedule a consultation.

 

Dr. David Saadat